Saturday, March 5, 2011

For Better or For Worse

I’ll admit,
I’ve donned my shortest skirt, my tightest shirt
When I knew you’d be around.
Hours spent perfecting my hair,
Teeth scrubbed to reveal layers of whiteness beneath mounds of metal.
I’ve rehearsed smiles in front of my bedroom mirror.
And in spite of it all
You’ve seen my in my dorkiest pjs,
Watched me spill and stain my favorite tee,
You’ve seen my hair swept by wind, going every which way but down,
Being attacked by leaves and UFOs.
Braces full of gunk as you make me laugh over platters of pancakes.
You’ve been around as I’ve made my gruesome faces,
And as I’ve done the impossibly dumb.
So even though I hold no claim to your heart,
After you’ve seen me at my best
Everyday I give my thanks, you’re still my friend,
After seeing me at my worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment